Packing before a big trip is exciting but can also be stressful, and without the right supplies or procedures, it turns into an arduous process that takes longer than it should. What follows is a list of guidelines that cover the dos and don’ts of packing your belongings properly before you head to the airport using our Chicago ground transportation service.
Things To Do:
- Make a list ahead of time of everything you think you’ll need. Some people find it easier to make one for each day you’ll be away, others like to organize it by category, such as daywear, nightwear, toiletries, etc.
- Do all your laundry before you pack, so most everything you own is clean, giving you a full quantity of clothes to choose from, as well as a full variety.
- Choose a decent sized bag to pack everything inside. It should be able to fit all your clothes, toiletries and shoes that you want to take.
- Choose clothes that are logical for your destination – if you’re traveling somewhere warm, don’t pack a sweater “just in case”. You’re not going to need it. A more practical solution might be a thin sweatshirt that would take up less space, or just take it with you on the plane, so it doesn’t take up space in your luggage.
- Remember that some clothing can be worn more than once without washing it first – good examples include long maxi skirts, jeans, khakis, and shorts. These types of bottoms can be matched with several tops, giving you versatile options to choose from while on vacation and letting you create more than one outfit with the same piece of clothing.
- To save space in your suitcase, roll up your shirts and other soft items and stack them vertically so they take up less volume.
- Try to pack light. Remember you don’t need to take everything – otherwise, it will weigh you down and you may end up paying more at the baggage counter.
- Plan to wear comfortable shoes to the airport if you’re flying. Shoes that are easy to remove in security but also feel comfortable on your feet are ideal.
- Fill in the empty spaces around your main luggage with small items like socks and ties.
- Do pack pairs of shoes first and lay them flat on top of your clothes.
- Take valuables, travel documents, and medicines in your carry-on luggage, so you’ll have it on hand with you at all times on travel day.
Things Not To Do:
- Don’t pack every single pair of shoes you own – think versatility instead. What pairs can you live without for a week or two, and which ones are you guaranteed to wear with you every day. Also, think about which comfortable shoes you’ll wear to the airport.
- Don’t allow yourself to take more than one checked bag because if you do, you’re giving yourself more room and therefore a free pass to take more stuff with you.
- Don’t take really valuable jewelry – it’s not worth the risk of it being lost or stolen.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to pack. If unexpected mishaps come up, you’ll have time to handle them before you have to leave.
If you keep these packing tips in mind, you’re bound to have a relaxing vacation or weekend getaway. Using our Chicago limo service, you can relax knowing that you will be dropped off at the airport on time so you can safely travel to your destination.
Also published on Medium.